Monday, January 01, 2007

A Blessing
I went to get hot drinks and snacks a few minutes before half time to avoid the rush. I was relieved to see that the kiosk at the end of the Atyeo stand was near the pitch so you could watch the game whilst queueing. I could also keep an eye on my older son who was keeping an eye on my younger son.
"...I came out without my flask" he moaned to the man behind me, "And I came out without my wallet. I've just about enough for a cup of tea but not for two. Its terrible £1.40 for a cup of tea..."
I looked over my shoulder at the owner of this voice - an elderly man - and the listener - a man between my age and that of the moaner. The listener looked interested but just nodded. I looked back towards the prices at the kiosk. My order of coffee, hot chocolate, hot dog and chunky kit kat came to £6.50. I had loads of change in my coat pocket so I turned again and asked the man how much he was short.
"About 40p" he said.
I gave him a 50p piece.
He gave me 10p back and said
"God bless you" as he placed a hand on my shoulder.
"No worries", I said.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

God bless you indeed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home