Sunday, May 03, 2009

Eyewash or Handwash?

"What do you think about this swine flu thing?", I asked.
We were in the pub after watching Gran Tourino at the Showcase. He was drinking a strange orangey cider known to locals as Thatchers. I sipped a pint of Easton Ale as part of my real ale renaissance.
His face contorted into somewhere between a grimace and a cringe.
"You don't take any notice of all that hype do you?, he said - putting me on the back foot.
"You think its all hype?", was my parry.
He went on to rant about the media coverage of the supposed pandemic which hadn't really seemed to affect anyone badly yet. I disagreed politely - but was interested as i had missed some of this hype. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong/right place.

I called on her door to pick him up on friday. I was a bit early as I'd been the the hospital for my quarterly check up. She's left a message on my mobile that morning to say that he'd been off school that day as he seemed hot thennight before. I had been relieved by the normal tone of the message as I'd been anxious since a long overdue and difficult meeting with her two days before.

As she opened the door I noticed a sign on the wall inside asking vistors to use the anticeptic handwash positioned on the banister. I was shocked as it seemed like the sort of thing you got going into a hospital - not a house. She was anxious in her demeaner and asked me to take a small bottle of handwash with me to use when we were out and about. In the car he tols me she was worried.

2 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

does he ever miss a trick?

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger FBRAK said...

Good to hear you've had a real ale renaissance.
Two extremes of view, there; the reality is most likely (as usual) somewhere in the middle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home