Saturday, January 17, 2009

Etiquette
I went to a pub last night. Its called the Duke of York in St Werburghs. I like the pub. Its unusual in that it has a skittle alley and an upstairs bar. I wasn't expecting to go - but I got a text and my partner didn't mind staying in with my son so I went. I'm not used to being out on weekend nights as I usually stay in with him and I noticed how busy it was. I went to the bar to get a round and had to wait a while before I could get to the front row of people waiting to order drinks. There seemed a lot of bar staff and they were certainly not slacking. When a space appeared I moved into it and caught the eye of a barman.
"Who's next?" he said , looking at me. I started my order.
"I think I was before you", said a tall man behind me.
"Sorry", I said - not wanting any trouble.
"I don't think he was", mouthed the barman to me as her served the tall bloke. He placed two pints on the bar.
"Do you think I cold get my drinks?" said the tall man reaching past me as if I was deliberately blocking him.
It wasn't an interaction I enjoyed.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger FBRAK said...

Since when does it matter who's first when ordering drinks in a pub? Surely whoever gets the eye of the barman/woman first is served first.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger baruch said...

That was sort of the point - however - back in the day - it was more like this - which is why it took me aback

 

Post a Comment

<< Home