Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Neighbourhood Watch
I went to feed some cats today. They belong to some friends who have gone abroad for three weeks . (The sporran ones). They have an elaborate cat feeding rota with several people on it. I unlocked the mortice but when I turned the yale nothing happened. I repeated the action several times to no avail. I phoned my partner who had performed this task this morning but she had had no problem opening to door. I tried nudging it with my shoulder. As I was speaking to her a man called me from across the road. I thought he may have some helpful advice.
"Excuse me sir" he said "I need to ask you to stop pushing that door".
I walked over towards him.
"You know what I mean" he said, "In a neighbourhood like this you can't be too careful".
I explained that I was feeding the cat and having some problem getting the door open. He said he understood but if I persisted in pushing the door he would have to call the police. I went over and showed him the elaborate spreadsheet with names, dates, phone number and small biogs of cat feeders listing the numbers of cats they owned, cat feeding instructions and photos of the two cats in question.
He seemed convinved and suggested I called on a neighbour. I phoned another cat feeder and suggested the door was stiff and a well placed knee got it open.
I'm sure my friends will be pleased that a vigilant neighbour is on the look out for burglars who strike in broad daylight, with a set of keys and a well prepared cat feeding rota as a cover story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home