Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chugger
The doorbell rang about 8.30 last night. I didn't want to see anyone. My partner had come back from her first day at work after being in London for three weeks at her sons hospital bedside and I didn't want us to be interrupted. I went to the door expecting to see - either one of the two friends who ever call on the door - or in vain hope that the missed parcel note I had (Reginald Perrin DVD's bought on ebay) would be delivered by my neighbour. I didn't know the young man I saw. I was confused. The I saw him reach for an ID badge and 1.5 seconds into the beginning of his cheerful patter I found myself saying
"No".
And closing the door. As I closed it I heard the beginnings of his self satisfied arguing. As the door slammed I heard him GRRRRR!!!
"Who was it?" she asked as I returned to the living room.
"Chugger!" I said as I sat down.
"What do they think they're doing", she said, "Bothering people at all times of day".
"I know," I said.
"I've got a good mind to get the police on them," she said.
"I don't think its against the law to knock on people's doors, love. " I said
We both laughed.

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

"chugger"?

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger baruch said...

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/new-words/031212-chugger.htm

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

your link didn't work so for those like myself who seek clarification the following from Wikipedia could help:-

Paid street fundraisers are sometimes known as chuggers because occasionally fundraising is viewed as aggressive or invasive (a portmanteau of "charity" and "mugger"). It became popular as a way of referring to street fundraisers after several articles appeared in British newspapers which touched upon the negative image of the people doing the job. Similarly, a paid door to door fundraiser is sometimes called a churglar (contraction of charity burglar).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home