Friday, March 07, 2008

Treatments
I took the cat the the vets this morning. He has an over-active thyroid. He hissed in his cat box in the waiting area at the curious dogs who tried to sniff him. The vet took his blood and weighed him. He had put on 4 kg whihc was encouraging. I waited from the blood test results but the machine was faulty so they agreed to phone me. I paid the £51 with my credit card.

I was on tenterhooks because my partners son was due to have a major operation today. Texted from the vets. No news. I took the cat home, fed him and gave him his pill. Then I went to the hospital for my 3 monthly check for skin cancer. I didn't want to park on a meter because I might be kept in if there was something wrong. I drove a round the flats where my friend lives but no spaces. I found one in Brigstocke Rd and walked from there via Tesco Metro where I bought a Guardian and failed to buy a flapjack having to settle for a packet of McCoys - Flame-Grilled Steak flavour.

In the waiting room I noticed on the board that my consultant was leaving at 11.30 - the time of my appointment. I wondered who I would see. I couldn't help noticing an attractive female doctor with two black eyes. I wondered idly how she had got them. I decided that if it was her who saw me I wouldn't ask - best not to cause embarassment about a fictitious cover story. This would be hard for me as I like to chat. The maternal nurse who sees me every time welcomed me as if I were her favourite son. I bet she talks like that to all the boys.

After 5 successful answers in the guardian cryptic, my phone rang. My partner was distraught - the operation had been postponed until wednesday because surgeons had more urgent cases. I was gutted - the thought of her spending another 5 days sitting next her son's bed around the clock stopping him getting out of bed and taking whatever his uninhibited brain would throw at her made me feel sick.

Soon after she said "I'll call you later", I was called into see Black-eyes.
"Hello I'm Dr W. I don't usually look like this.", she said to my surprize.
"I don't imagine you do," I said. I continued to inhibit my urge to ask her about how she did it. She gave me a clean bill of mole health and left me to be photographed by the bearded hospital photographer. I'm not sure he got my best side.

3 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

I'm confused - was the hospital bearded or was the photographer?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger baruch said...

The photographer. The hospital had a natty sideburns and tache combination...

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

I like a well groomed hospital

 

Post a Comment

<< Home