Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Committed
"I need to talk to you", she said, "about missing the last two Tuesdays before the concert."
"I told you I would have to", I said plaintively. "I made those arrangements before you announced the date."
I was really knackered and didn't need this. We had been at the "solo group" in the upstairs room of her house since 7pm. It was now nearly ten and everyone had left apart from me, my duet partner and our teacher/ choir leader. She looked tired too.
"I'm just worried about your solo song," she said, "The others doing the backing won't have practiced it for two weeks and its not really fair on them."
"I'm sorry", I said, "but I don't know what I can do about it."
"What are you doing on the last week?" she asked.
"I've got tickets to see Nick Cave in Manchester with my son." I said - knowing that she wouldn't understand.
"Would you consider trying to sell them?" she said.
I was gobsmacked, incredulous, words like that.
"No!" I said, "It's more important.
"I'm sorry," she said, "but I needed to say something 'cos its a problem.
"I'm probably the person in the choir who's missed least rehearsals", I said.
"I know," she said. "You're my most committed choir member.
It was awkward for a bit while my duet partner made suggestions to get around the issue. Eventually leader came up with the idea that she wold sing my song in my absence for others to practice the backing. We went for a pint together afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home