Tuesday, January 23, 2007

DIY
I swore a lot at work yesterday. I was more angry than I usually get. I do swear too much - especially in front of my son as I am often reminded - but I don't swear that much at work. There were three reasons for me swearing yesterday in the office.
1. I am a foul mouthed git with no self control.
2. Swearing is the way I usually respond to extreme frustration or anger.
3. The story I am about to tell you about my car radio.

I like my car radio. It enables me to both listen to music in the car via my MP3 player and sport on the radio via the radio. Last week it stopped working. I had fixed it once before by wiggling around the relays but this didn't work - so on friday I went to a car electrical place. They couldn't look at it 'till monday so I booked it in and went to the Autoparts shop in search of a self help solution. Someone at work had told me her friend had fixed her radio by taking it out and replacing the fuse.
"How did he take it out? I enquired
"He had some sort of tools with two prongy things" she replied.
To my delight the Autopart shop near my office sold "prongy things" for £1.99. I bought some and set about trying to remove the radio. It seemed hard work and I had to yank away. Eventually I had movement but instead of the radio coming out - just the front bit did with little ribbony things on the back of it. This didn't look right so I got two screwdrivers to try to get the rest out. No luck - so I forced the front bit back on and tried to forget about it over the weekend.
On monday I took it to the electrical place in joyful anticipation of getting my radio back. I walked back to the office pleased with myself about having some exercise. I woofed down my lunch and waited for the call. It didn't come so I phoned them. The receptionist put the mechanic on.
"You're radio's broken" he said " It looks like someone's forced the front of it off"
"What" I said
"There's nothing wrong with the power" he said " But its useless now."
"So you're saying that I've broken my own radio"
"It looks like it"
I pleaded a bit with him and told him what I'd done and why and asked what I should have done. Then I asked him what it was going to cost to not have my radio.
"That's an hours labour" he said
"Forty pounds" he said
"Plus VAT" he said.
I put the phone down and started swearing.

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

I'm not surprised

 

Post a Comment

<< Home