Sunday, January 13, 2008

Role Reversal
My mother had been visiting this weekend. I have enjoyed it. Mostly its been relaxed and easy.

Today we went shopping in Clark Village in Street. Nearing the end of the afternoon we were all a bit tired. We were walking towards some steps when she told my partner to walk the other way so she wouldn't have to go up the stairs carrying her bags. This was the first irritating thing she had said all day. As we walked towards the ramp my mother tripped slightly and let out a yell. A stray laugh jumped out of my mouth. I think I caught it before my mum noticed it - she was focused on the pain in her leg which she had pulled. I was racked with guilt for about 67 minutes.

When I was in Marks and Spencers I lost my mother for a while. Everywhere I looked I saw mirrors and not old women that I recognised. I was suddenly 6 years old on Porthcawl beach having come out of the sea and not able to spot my parents. After 8 seconds of blind panic I was back in M&S and I found my mum.

Back at home I have been managing time with my mum in exactly the same way she managed me as a child. I've put her in fornt of the telly. Everyone's happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home