Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Fascinating
"What do you do for a living?", she asked. I told her.
"How about you?" I said
" I work with elderly and disabled people", she said. "I find them really special".
"Oh yes", I said.

She swapped seats with her son to sit next to me to tell me more. I was pleased to allow our sons some time to catch up. He had had phoned my son earlier to say they were in Bristol as his mum was wanted to see a friend who was playing in a band locally. It later emerged that she had met this man on the bus once and she couldn't remember the name of the pub. They gave up looking for it and came round to the house. She mentioned it was a jazz band and I told her which pub it was. I offered to accompany them for a pint as and show them where the pub was. Sometimes I'll do anything for a pint.

She sat next to me gazing intently and started to tell me a story of an amazing old lady she had met on a train, who had travelled here and there....I glazed over at this point.
"...and as I was getting off the train", she went on, " The old lady came up to me and said - Excuse me I need to say something to you. I really don't like to way you have spoken to me. I think you are very patronising.
"I was so shocked", she said. "I told her I worked with old people and found them fascinating".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home